10.10.09

hello Cassidy

so, I'm sitting on my couch, waiting for the phone call from my mom to let me know that she had landed in Salt Lake City and was on her way up. The phone call comes. Mom is on the road. She's driving a silver Hyundai Sonata and she is really impressed with it. i giggle.
the door knocks.
"COME IN!"
i yell in mid conversation with my mother.

blonde hair. Red Sweatshirt. Handlebar Mustache.
In walks my father.

utter shock
..DAD?
*click* i hang up the phone.

"Did you just hang up on your mother?"

...oh yeah...i guess i did...isn't she with you?

"call her back."

Mom is back on the phone and I ask where she is.
Dad holds up the key. familiar black rounded top with the slanted H in the corner.

Hamilton?

"Your grandfather and I decided to take a road trip."

..shock...

"go get some shoes."

I run fast into my room. Best friend is frantically getting dressed. "i can't believe i'm missing this!"
I slide on my slippers and run back out. up the stairs, out the door. Grandfather standing outside with the camera.
I walk into the parking lot, cautiously.

mom, where are you?

"Mom isn't coming."

...shock...

mom isn't coming?

..sadness..

"we needed a reason to keep you home today."

...shock...

Dad holds up the key.

oh right...key...

is Hamilton here?

"I'm driving this really nice Silver Hyundai Sonata..." my mom says in the cell phone.

silver...hyundai...

eyes make a connection with a silver car in the parking lot.

is that...is that the car?

"check the license plates..."

running around the back...New Hampshire...live free or die...

it clicks

DAD...DID YOU BUY ME A CAR?

laughter and delight. Best friend giggling in the background.

and then the tears came. non stop shedding of tears. shock, surprise, overwhelming love for my father.

I am so blessed. I am so blessed. words can not describe how thankful I am and how loved I feel.

He's not Hamilton. He's not my little green car with the little purr. He's Cassidy. Silver sleekness and quiet stealth. The love of a father for his daughter wrapped into a beautiful gesture of compassion and adoration. it's amazing and I am speechless. Dad bought me a car. He drove it across the country. He sacrificed so much so that I could have this car. I am so blessed.

and life is so beautiful.

No comments: