17.7.11

on Health and Goals

I'm the kind of person who loves goals. I set New Year's resolutions every year and I work hard to achieve them and check in with them constantly. I'm in love with the idea of bettering myself every day and crossing things off the many lists on the post it notes I keep close by. I love working hard and feeling accomplished.

This summer was all about getting my knee replaced and recovering from that-the biggest and hardest surgery I've ever faced. Now that I'm finally on my feet again, I have been a little lazy and lost when it comes to working on myself. I realized that when I don't have a goal I'm actively working on achieving, I tend to lose focus on many other aspects of my life. So, I decided that it needed to stop.

Now that I've finally got this beautiful new knee, I really need to work on getting healthy in other areas of my life. I've been healing well, but I've gotten to a really frustrating stand still in my physical therapy and I will only be able to overcome it if I can get over the hurdles I've placed in front of myself.

Normally, I'm the kind of person who gradually eases into new habits, but since I decided to go back to school in the fall, I have a limited amount of time to teach myself how to live in a new mindset in order to get my body to fully succeed.

So, starting tomorrow, I'm going to embrace a healthy lifestyle as fully as I can. My goals for the rest of the summer are as follows:

1. Go to bed no later then 11 and don't sleep in past 9. No naps, unless on Sunday.
2. No more unnecessary snacking. Time to eat healthier and control the calorie intake
3. Go to the gym 3-4 times a week. The only way to combat the issues I'm facing with PT is to strengthen my muscles in my leg and my core and to stay on top of my weight.
4. Scripture study every night-I've gotten lazy.
5. Swimming every day
6. Reading as many novels as possible before going back to school to prepare for English Class
7. (slightly unrelated) but I want to eliminate the word "like" from my daily conversations. As an English major, it's unprofessional of me, and I realize how uneducated I sound when I use it more then five times in one sentence. It's terrible.

wish me luck! Healthy Body, here I come!

No comments: