8.7.09

Check Ups and Check Ins.

I was thinking to myself today:
"Self, you have been doing really well on following through with some of your goals that you made for yourself this summer."
and then I thought:
"I think you are right, self! I finally feel like I am focused on plans for the near future and that I am really working on myself and that I know where I need to go and I'm actually working and committed to get there."

So now I am going to revisit a few of my lists of goals and really check in and check up with myself.
okay self?
okay.


Goals for working on myself:
1. Work on being Selfless, especially when it comes to my family-I can't really judge improvement on this just yet.
2. Attitude. Always try to be positive. Every unhappy situation that comes around, try to find the silver lining. I'm trying, I promise.
3. Being Active. Stop laying around and sleeping because I feel like I'm going nowhere. I am going somewhere. I am working now and the kids have me on the go all of the time. When Mike and Symone were here last week, we were always on the go seeing things and doing things. I haven't been lazy in almost three weeks. I take any opportunity to go on car rides and errands with my parents so I am not stuck in the house, even if I don't want to leave.
4. Don't believe in limitations. Accept that I need to make adjustments, but do not look at them as limitations. I am not limited.
I learned how to belay rock climbers on Monday. I walked around the Kancamangus, the MOS, Boston, and the beach in one week and even though I was swollen, I didn't let my knee slow me down. I don't let myself make any excuses to participate in any activities with the kids at work unless I am physically unable to do it or it isn't safe for me. I am beginning to feel less and less limited every day I prove to myself that I am not.

And here are the goals/plans I want to accomplish this summer:
1. Work as hard as possible and save as much as possible so that I can be as financially secure as possible when I am back out West. Check. I am working right now and I only buy gas.
2. Take Hamilton out to school. 97% sure about this being a yes, but waiting to hear back from insurance on Monday.
3. Eat healthier and work out. Lost some weight. I am snacking more then I should and I need to swim more, but I am definitely working out more then before.
4. Play my flute more often so I am ready for flute chior in the fall. I still need to work on this and take my flute out. maybe this weekend when I have time?
5. Read. I am trying to read a chapter of my current book every night. I am half way through re-reading the Harry Potter series. I have a list of books I want to read by the end of this summer. Beach Week will be of great assistance for this goal.

Let's check in with my New Years Resolutions:

1. When I need help, ask for it or accept it. I got better at this towards the end of my winter semester. I think I digressed a little after April though.
2. Don't spend my money on things I do not need. I am either really good at this or really bad at this. I spent a lot of money when my friends were visiting last week, but it was either on food or gas and nothing else. And since then, I have been really good at not spending money on anything I do not need.
3. Get off of academic probation. CHECK
4. Call my sisters more often. Well, I tried to call them once or twice a week when I was at school. I am switching this to spend more time with them for the summer, which I am trying to do a lot.
5. Go to California. CHECK X2, maybe three before the end of the year.
6. Make my parents proud. I got off of probation and I am working for the summer. These two things definitely keep them happy with me. I hope that means they are proud too.
7. Learn to do what is best for me, even if it isn't what I want. I am working on this still.
8. Keep in touch with my friends back East more. I need to work on this too. I need to spend time with my friends here more while I am home.
9. See the beauty in everything. I try to every day
10. Sleep more. I have gone to sleeping three to four hours every night to sleeping a healthy 9-10...sometimes a full 12 or 13. so i consider this a CHECK!
11. Tell the people who I love that I love them more. I end every phone conversation with I LOVE YOU BYEEEE! CHECK!
12. Don't let distance come between the people who matter the most. This was a check for some people and a fail for others during the winter semester. But I feel like I am doing well with this now. I am keeping in close contact with my friends who are in different places frequently and a lot of my relationships and frienships have grown stronger over the distance. 
13. Let people care about me. I have gotten a lot better at this. CHECK!
14. Learn to accept my flaws and imperfections and understand that the people who can't accept them do not matter. this is on going and a huge struggle for me at this point in time.


okay. I am going to come up with some new goals to add on to my list this afternoon but I am running late, so i must go.





No comments: