28.4.09

Thoughts on Tuesday: Home

FACT:
I will always be a New England girl. Hands down.
New England air, New England sunshine, New England breezes.
yes.

The jet lag is going to take a while to wear off. I slept in until three in the afternoon here. My mom was not too happy. Oh well. I unpacked, showered, watched the weather channel, ate dinner with my family and went out and saw many friends tonight. It was good. I was happy. I am glad to be home. I am thankful for car drives and sunshine and friends who will keep me company.

I am missing Californian friends though. I really would love to end my night by sitting with my back against Zandra's bedroom wall, watching youtube videos and listening to music. I would have loved to have spend an hour outside tossing a frisbee with Mike. I miss their company and the conversations and the laughs. 

But I am home. And I am moving forward. To the summer sun, to lifelong friends and beyond. I will move along. 

There is a poem that has been circulating my friend's blogs lately and I really really like it. I feel like it is pretty much my life story right now. Not really, but it definitely is what I am feeling. So I'm going to leave you with it:

After a While

After a while you learn
The subtle difference between
Holding a hand and chaining a soul
And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning
And company doesn't always mean security.

And you begin to learn
That kisses aren't contracts
And presents aren't promises

And you begin to accept your defeats
With your head up and your eyes ahead
With the grace of a woman
Not the grief of a child

And you learn
To build all your roads on today
Because tomorrow's ground is
Too uncertain for plans
And futures have a way
Of falling down in mid flight


After a while you learn
That even sunshine burns if you get too much
So you plant your own garden
And decorate your own soul
Instead of waiting
For someone to bring you flowers

And you learn
That you really can endure
That you are really strong
And you really do have worth
And you learn and you learn
With every good bye you learn.

Veronica A. Shoffstall



these are my thoughts,
this is my prayer.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

It's such a deep poem. I stole it from Zandra though...