30.8.09

and all of a sudden, I'm gone

well, almost gone.

It just hit me two hours ago that I have two days left in New England. 
I have been counting the days down until I go back to school, watching the days pass by, day in and day out. And all of a sudden, it is almost time to leave and my heart is hurting a little bit.
I love New England. And no matter how many times I realize how much I love my home, I always end up taking it for granted. This last week is no exception. I was focusing on leaving instead of enjoying my last week being home, and now I have a couple precious days to soak in the New England Sunshine and tress and rocks and streams.

I am excited to go back to school, for the road trip with my dad and for seeing the beautiful sights of this country. But I am sad to leave home. I will miss my family the most. I really love my sisters and my brother and my parents and I will miss spending time with them. This summer has been a huge growing experience for me to appreciate what a wonderful family I have been blessed with and how the family is such an important and central unit to my life. 

I will also miss my big bed, my goof ball kitties and long drives on West Street. 

I think what gets me most is that I am not sure when exactly I will be back for a long period of time. I know I will be home for Christmas, but my plans for the summer still remain very unsure and mirky. I have a car that I don't want to drag across the country more then necessary, and I have a few options that I could look into. Staying in Idaho for the spring semester, moving to Utah and living with Juli or studying abroad are all things that I could do. As much as I love home, I know that I need to grow up and that my house isn't really where I belong any more after I leave here on Wednesday. My sister already has plans to move into my bed and my dad is planning on moving his hiking gear into my closet. I need to be more settled in the West for a while, be on my own and really focus on what I need to do and where I need to go.

Maybe it's nostalgia that is getting to my heart. This is where I grew up; where I made some of my best and favorite memories. That is the swing set I used to swing my life away on; that is the window I used to day dream while looking out; and over there is the path into the woods that I used to wander around. That is the pine where I found a baby porquie pine stuck in; and that is the tree I used to have my little mayors office under when we played town. I have always been very eager to grow up, but tonight my heart aches for those times where I was little and carefree and a big, bright world to play in. 

Even though there are those days and weeks where time moves by so slowly, when I look at the big picture, it seems to me that my life has moved by so fast; in the blink of an eye. I am a sophomore in college now. And before I know it, I will be a junior. I want to scream: "Hey! Slow down a minute! I am not ready to be THIS old or THIS grown up."

But I guess I need to be. And so I will. Everything passes in its time and season, and the truth is, I leave Wednesday for the big wide world once more and I don't know when I will be back. But hey world, bring it on. 

I know I will be ready.




1 comment:

Vicki said...

I know how you feel. I've been so excited to leave this place that I felt I was drowning in and all of a sudden... I leave in 2 1/2 days, and I've missed a lot of beautiful things about Oregon. But you're completely right, it's time to focus more on ourselves and grow up to experience the lives ahead of us. Here's to us, and our futures. SEE YOU SOON.