23.8.09

sentimental pack rat

Today the great clean out of '09 begins. I have 10 days left in The Shire before heading across the country, back to school.

My first project was to drag the giant bin from under my bed and go through it and see what the heck is in it. The last time I went through it had to have been four or five years ago.

and I have come to the conclusion that I am a sentimental pack rat. 
Gosh, there was so much crap in that bin that I can not throw away to save my life. I have saved every get well card, birthday card, valentines day card, graduation card that I have ever received since my 13th birthday. There is a notebook from my Freshman year with a "friend-rating list." What the crap? I apparently rated my friends 1-10, 10 being best friends and 1 being friendly but not friends. I must have went back a few months later because a lot of numbers are crossed off and replaced. I was so weird and slightly conceded. I have news paper clippings on end of family, friends and a few of myself. There are ticket stubs from movies, planes, trips and art galleries, pictures taken from my old polaroid camera, tons of notes and comics passed to me in the hallways of freshman/sophomore year, half done cross word puzzles, and get this:

A protractor in it's package with "A protractor for my 8th grade math class that I never opened" scribbled in my middle school handwriting. 

And try as I might, I could not throw anything away from that box. Everything I have in there has a memory attached, a life lesson learned or something I have improved on. 

But for real. If I am not careful with what I save, then I am going to end up on that show on when I am 40 years old and can't see my toilet because I have so much stuff. I'll pass the line of packrat into a hoarder, like this man:




Or maybe I will just be a cat lady.

I guess we will see.

No comments: