25.8.09

Hamilton Therapy

I realize that I have mentioned Hamilton Therapy frequently during the blogs of this summer, but I have never really explained what that is to me. I also realize that I talk about this car a lot, and I know that it must make me sound a bit snotty or worldly, but I am not, I swear.


In celebration of officially buying Hamilton on Sunday and Dad signing the title over to me and Hamilton being completely and totally all mine, I feel like I should expand on what Hamilton therapy is and why I love that car so much.

A lot of times during the fall semester, I felt so overwhelmed and completely alone in my battles. During those moments, the walls seemed to close in around me and I felt stuck. I couldn’t get up and leave, I couldn’t get far away from campus to really give me relief.

You know that feeling?

The feeling that you get when you just can’t handle the things around you, when you just need to get out and get away. The point where there is just so much on your mind, and so much going around you that you go into overdrive and overload.

When I am home and my dad starts talking money, and my mom starts talking chores, and my brother starts yelling and my knee is burning from trying to move something by myself, and I just can not deal with all of the pressure anymore, I grab my keys and my iPod and I get out.

Start the car, plug in my iPod and put on my Hamilton Therapy playlist, full of songs that calm me down or give me the opportunity to sing my heart out. Roll down the windows, take the emergency brake off and shift the gear into reverse. Out of the driveway and whichever way my arms turn is the way I go.

For me, there is something calming and beautiful about getting out of a place where I feel trapped and having total control of where I want to go. And where I go doesn’t even matter. The motions of driving, the wind in my hair and the purr of the engine combine to sooth my soul. But the best part of Hamilton Therapy is being surrounded by the beauty of this world. No matter how crappy or overloaded I feel, seeing the trees and the rocks and the streams and the lakes; how the sun filters through the clouds, the way road turns sharply and shows a whole new scene; driving along the coast and smelling the salt water and hearing the slight rush of the waves crashing over the sand and watching the sun set across the marshes…there is nothing that brings more peace to me then to realize the simple and beautiful wonders of this world.

Hamilton Therapy isn’t physically about Hamilton. It is about getting out and falling in love with the Earth. It is about realizing that no matter what happens, life continues to beautiful.

My ownership of Hamilton isn’t about physically having a car. My dad practically gave me his beloved and favorite automobile. Owning Hamilton for me is all about the trust and love that my father showed to me, and the sacrifices he has been willing to make for me. My father is one of the most giving and generous people I have ever met, and I am moved to tears frequently when driving my car and realizing how generous my dad is.


I love my car, but not because I am all about possessions. I love it because of what it represents to me.

Every day I am drive Hamilton, I am always reminded that no matter what happens, Life will continue to be beautiful.

I am so excited to drive my car across the country and to take my friends on Hamilton Therapy runs. I can not wait to see what other beautiful things I will be able to experience while driving across the midwest. Most of all, I am looking forward to the peace and comfort that only the open road can bring, with the windows down and the best music playing.

after all, Hamilton Therapy is the best therapy.

No comments: