26.1.09

And in that moment, we were infinite.

"There is a feeling that I had Friday night after the homecoming game that I don't know if I will ever be able to describe except to say that it is warm. Sam and Patrick drove me to the party that night, and I sat in the middle of Sam's pickup truck. Sam loves her pickup truck because I think it reminds her of her dad. The feeling had happened when Sam told Patrick to find a station on the radio. And he kept on getting commercials. And commercials. And a really bad song about love that had the word "baby" in it. And then more commercials. and finally he found this really amazing song about this boy, and we all got quiet.
Same tapped her hand on the steering wheel. Patrick held his hand outside the car and made air waves. And I just sat between them. After the song finished, I said something.
"I feel infinite."
And Sam and Patrick looked at me like I said the greatest thing they
ever heard. Because the song was that great and because we all 
really paid attention to it. Five minutes of a lifetime were truly 
spent and we felt young in a good way...

We hit the tunnel, all the sound got scooped up into a vacuum, 
and it was replaced by a song on the tape player. A beautiful 
song called "Landslide". When we got out of the tunnel, Sam
screamed this really fun scream and there is was. Downtown.
Lights on buildings and everything that makes you wonder.
Sam started laughing.
Patrick started laughing.
I started laughing.

And in that moment, I swear we were infinite."

-The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

There are only two times in my life that I can ever
remember feeling like that. I never even knew how to 
describe that feeling until I read that passage in that book.
And then it all fit. There is no other way to describe it. Infinite.

The first time I remember feeling like that was the first summer that Juli got her Jeep.
We took the top off, the doors off, and took it for it's first spin to get some icecream and
to enjoy the beautiful sunshine. On the way back from the store, a summer rainstorm happen upon us and we were getting pelted in the face with rain as we drove along the side streets of Londonderry, laughing so hard that we were in danger of driving off the road. And then I put in the Red Hot Chili Peppers (Stadium Arcadium, Mars) and all of a sudden there was nothing better then that moment. A Jeep, the wind, the summer rain, RHCP, and my best friend...

we were infinite. 



The other time I can remember feeling like that was on the car ride down to Salt Lake City the last weekend of the Fall semester to see the Aquabats. I was riding shotgun, in the car with two of my closest friends in the world. We were laughing and having a good time and then "Check Yes Juliet" came on and we all started singing and clapping and all of a sudden, there was nothing better or happier then that moment. 

We were Infinite.




I love to live for moments like those. Moments where you are so happy and nothing can bring you down because you have the best music, going to the best places and you are in the best company. Moments when you are truly infinite.


No comments: