4.6.11

Spending days at Zion

The LDS church bought an old boyscout camp a few years ago and is turning into a camp to be used for girls camp that will serve all of the stakes in southern New England. My old stake president and his wife were instrumental in the purchasing of the camp and were the original directors until the sudden death of President P in March. My parents were recently asked to serve a service mission (a few weeks ago) and to be the camp directors of Zion's camp. There is SO much work to do to get the camp ready for the summer, including obtaining permits, fixing things up for state standards, setting up rules and guidelines for the stakes, general maintenance and organizing. So, needless to say, the family has jumped in feet first. Since my mom is still working at school and just finished seminary, I've been helping a lot with paper work, scheduling, emailing and such. Today, we went up to camp and I was in charge of opening up the office. There was a computer to get running, documents to be made and emails to be sent and files to organize. I was there for four hours and barely made a dent! There is so much to do and we open camp in three weeks!





'

As stressful as it is to realize that there is just so much to do in order to get the camp ready, I have already seen miracles take place as we go forward with faith to prepare this dedicated piece of land. I'm not even a set apart missionary, just a daughter of one, but faith and service is required of all of us, as a family, to make this succeed. I knew there was a reason why getting my knee replaced this summer and having to be home was right; and being able to play a part in serving all of the stake in New England by helping get this camp up and running is one of them. I already feel like I am learning so much by dedicated my time to this project and helping my parents. While cleaning out the office computer today, I stumbled across a few documents that President P had created, logging miracles that he had seen while working in the camp. It was such a strength to me and I felt so grateful to be part of the family chosen to continue this work.  I'll be spending most of my summer up at camp with my mom, helping run the office and driving around in the golf cart!

No comments: