12.4.11

America, the Beautiful

I drove across the country this weekend.
I drove across the country this weekend.
And it was one of the most beautiful experiences ever.

I never understood how beautiful America was until this weekend. Every inch; every state has some kind of incredible aura to it. Stunning.

Eastern Utah has these beautiful Mesas that rise up from the ground with different layers of brown and black sediments streaking in lines. There is this weird rock canyon that I-70 winds through by Price, UT. The cliffs look like sea-sponge; all of these holes and arches carved out in intricate patterns that glow in the setting sun and cast shadows across the highway.

The Rockies in Colorado are massive and as you climb up through them, you pass through little ski-resort towns that are literally built into the sides of the mountains. The pass between these massive slopes is so narrow that West bound is built some 50 feet higher then East bound, almost like a double decker bridge. And at night, all's you can see are these shadows of the peaks and the constant curve of the highway as you climb and climb until you are 11,000 feet in the air.

Kansas is not dull and boring; like many people have told me. We drove through it at night and well into the morning, and the Kansas night sky is nothing like I have ever seen. It's even better then the sky in Idaho at the dunes. Thousands and thousands of stars, like illuminated grains of sand, scattered across the sky. And the sun rise over a flat horizon, with the edges of the world tinged in pink and soft orange as this massive golden globe creeps up and up, spreading the light across long fields.

Missouri and Illinois was filled with warm air that was heavy and made all of the trees that are sprouting green sway in the breeze. Little white blossoms on trees flew around in the wind and a light scent of flowers carried across everywhere.

Indianapolis, Indiana is one of the cleanest, streamlined cities I've ever driven through, and quiet for a city. Everything glows in the classic city glow, but there is a distinct glow to this city. It's alive with culture and growth.

Ohio has hills and hills and hills and highways that wind through them and roll up and down.

Pennsylvania has a lot of deer and trees and trees and trees that creep up over the road and cast beautiful shadows across the pavement.

Rural New York is breathtaking and historic. Beautiful colonial houses line the streets and stretch into the foothills of the mountains.

And then there is New England, and my beloved New Hampshire; which is a realm of it's own. There is something so distinct about New England air; it is so fresh and clean. The sun shines in rays; through the trees and there is such a gentle breeze that wafts life through every corner of my house.

America is beautiful and after seeing so much of it this last weekend, I know, without a doubt; that God is in the details. Nothing, but a higher power, could have created something so beautiful. This, I believe.

oh and also. New England sets my soul on fire and my heart will always belong to New Hampshire.
i love being home.

2 comments:

Paige Munden said...

i love love LOVE what you said about kansas. the midwest sky is my very favorite :)

Chelsie said...

I totally thought of you as we drove through and if I had your number, I would have texted you and said: "I'm driving through Kansas!" haha