12.2.09

Sledding is enough.

"I walked over to the hill where we used to go and sled. There were a lot of little kids there. I watched them flying. Doing jumps and having races. And I thought that all those little kids are going to grow up someday. and all of those little kids are going to do the things that we do. And they will all kiss someone someday. But for now, sledding is enough. I think it would be great if sledding were always enough, but it isn't."


I really love The Perks of being a Wallflower. If you haven't read it, you should. It's amazing. But, I think that there is one small thing wrong about what Charlie says right there. I think that sledding can be enough, if you let it. Sometimes, the simplest things can be enough.

I have had a pretty yucky week. And I've been dwelling on it, and letting it get to me. I need to be a little kid again, and let the simple things, like sledding, be enough. I need to find the things I think are beautiful and let them fill me up, and experience all of the comfort and joy they bring me.


Jamba Juice-Strawberries Wild. Unexpected phone calls from people I love. "That's what she said" text messages. The Office. Good books (right now, The Perks of being a Wallflower, Les Miserables and East of Eden.) Warm Chamomile Tea in mugs. Singing to Disney Songs and making videos with roommates. The feeling I get when I hear the Text Message noise. The sound of windchimes. Waking up to morning breeze's that smell of fall. Driving down New England roads in Autumn, filled with oranges, reds and yellows. Strawberry Coolattas with whipped cream from Dunkin' Donuts. Freshly painted fingernails. Surprise visits from friends filled with much needed conversation and hugs. Garden salads drenched in Balsamic Vinagarette. Fried green beans with ranch dressing. Conversations held between eyes. Laughing so hard at the silliest things that my stomach cramps up and I can't breath and I snort. Late night walks with someone where silence is almost more important then conversation. Trying new brands of mascara. Nights filled with Nintendo 64, Super Smash and sound effects. The smell of coming snow. (it does smell). Running through sprinklers late at night. Driving to nowhere to look at stars. People who I instantly click with. Snuggeling with a friend who I know loves me. The feeling in my stomach when my favorite song on the radio comes on. Looking through pictures of favorite adventures and telling people the stories that go along with them. Discovering notes or letters from friends written years ago. Waking up and realizing I can still sleep for two hours until my alarm goes off. New hair colors. Back rubs. Warm blankets and towels out of the dryer. The feeling of love that fills me up when I see or hear the voice of someone I adore. 

These simple things are enough.





No comments: