15.2.09

Advice from a Tree and other random observations

Every Sunday, in Sunday School, I read this poster on the wall:

Advice From A Tree:

-Stand tall and proud
-Sink your roots into the Earth
-Be content with your natural beauty
-Go out on a limb
-Drink plenty of water
-Remember your roots
-Enjoy the view

This is what I have learned from a tree:

maple tree

1. Know who you are and be that without shame or doubt. Embrace your colors.

willow tree

2. Be solid in your values and morals. Deep roots mean you are immovable. Don't be afraid to stand knee-deep in the soil. 

birch tree

3. Love who you are, including your flaws and imperfections. They make you original and define you in the forest.


4. Don't be afraid of dreaming. Don't be afraid of following them. Don't be afraid of making them come true.

5.  Take care of yourself

6. Remember where you came from, who you represent, and how that effects who you are.

7. Enjoy Life. Love it. All of it. The storms and the wind and the snow and most importantly, the sunshine.


Birch trees are my favorite kind tree, because they scream New England. There are groves of them and in the fall, when they are turning color, it is the most beautiful thing to see. I love New England.

I want to be like a tree.



on the other side of observations:

My mom never fails to provide me the comfort and support that I need. She knows what to say and how to say it and is just in general, a wonderful mom, friend and example. I want to be like her. 
I'm so thankful for the support system I have out here in Idaho. I am so lucky to have the most wonderful roommates and friends. And I have two of the best guys in the world who have my back all of the time. I'm so blessed to have them in my life. They are such amazing examples to me and I have learned so much from watching them, being around them and even being away from them. Together, we all face life, hand in hand.
My hair is dyed again. It's jet black, with this awesome violet sheen when the light hits it. And there is some nice pink back in my bangs and in the back. I feel better now that my roots are gone. 
thirty three days until california. thirty three days until we will be together again and be able to fully appreciate every moment we will have together. That weekend will go by way too fast, but those moments will be etched forever in ourselves, so that when we feel most lonely, we can recall those feelings and know we're loved. thirty three days until the much needed reunion with the people who have become my second family.

I'm in love with a few new songs that I have stumbled across:

The Shade of Poison Trees
Dashboard Confessional

Dress your wounds
Test your strength
Feel the pain
Know the signs
Is there truth 
In your pain?
You decide

Make This Go On Forever
Snow Patrol

And I don't know where to look
My words just bend and melt
Please just save me from this darkness
Please just save me from this darkness




some amusing statistics:

IN-minutes (verizon to verizon) used in total this month in my family share plan (My mom, my brother, my sister and myself):6414
IN-minutes that belong to me: 6383

it is a good thing that my two best friends who I spend hours on the phone with have verizon.


I want to be like a tree.

2 comments:

Alexandra said...

I love reading your blog, as well as trees. You will love Nevada City =]

This is one of my favorite songs, by Josh Garrels, called Jacaranda Tree.
Here is a picture of one: http://lyrics.payplay.fm/Josh+Garrels/Jacaranda+Tree

and you can listen to the song on his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/joshgarrels

Sitting on porches
Since Friday while the sky
Tilts like a watery glass
We wait for downpours
A drenching joy
A carnival sky
But what I don’t say
What I can’t say
Is that with this joy
Comes a mourning
Something left behind
Blue lined, teary
Mingled
I move on
All things will change
We wait for the rain
And the promise remains
Live life fully
Peeking through fingers
Slung in our hammocks
Cocooned
Skimming the water
Trapezed above time
We glide like slingshot angels
Belly up and
Floating we see
The promise in the sky
Up to Orion’s ribs
We climb this tree
And listen
For our pulse
All things will change
We wait for the rain
And the promise remains
I flung loosely
Into that world
I stayed heavily
I’ll be a Jacaranda Tree
In Indiana
I say
Greenhoused and sung to
I pray light will
Leak from out pockets
We’ll be drenched, overcome
At night the fireflies
Streamers at our sides
Silent flaming arcs of hope
All things will change
We wait for the rain
And the promise remains

Alexandra said...

Just kidding, this is the link to the photo:
http://www.bluntmoney.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/800px-jacaranda1212.jpg