6.9.11

Observations on the last night of Summer 2011

This is a record. It's not 10:30 and I am all packed, checked in to my flight and tucked into my bed. My window is open and I have the comforting sound of an autumn drizzle seeping into my room. I can't believe I'm leaving for Idaho tomorrow. It's surreal. When I came home in April, it was 100% positive that I was going to be home until January. And when my knee healed faster then anyone anticipated, I was faced with one of the hardest choices I've had to make in a long time..whether to go back to school this fall or to stay snuggled in the security of oak and birch trees, here in New England.

I'm thinking about this summer and how incredibly different it turned out to be from what I was planning on it being. For one thing, Dustin's reassignment to this area blindsided me out of nowhere. Working at camp and serving with the Yorks and Bratts every day for 4 solid months was another thing I never saw coming. My primary class, teaching with the sister missionaries, getting incredibly close to my little sisters and of course, becoming an official five year survivor; all things I didn't expect. This summer was supposed to be about me and healing from my knee. I wasn't planning on doing anything else except focusing on myself. And boy oh boy, did this summer turn out to be the exact opposite. I have never worked harder or served more or had to rely on my faith more then I did this summer. I've never sacrificed  so selflessly before. And the biggest thing is that I did it all by myself. No best friends or boyfriends this summer. It was just me and God. And I'm so glad it was, because I needed to learn some things.

I love New England. I love my home. I love that I was raised here and that I have that stubbornness that runs in the Northeasterner's blood. I love who it has helped shaped me into this summer.

I've never been this torn about leaving home. But I am tonight. I might even cry a little.

But I will also probably cry when I'm reunited with Symone tomorrow afternoon, so you know, it comes full circle in the end.

I love you, New England. I'll be seeing you soon.

No comments: