28.3.11

color my world

if i could take that ride on the dirt bike down the hill;
you know the one,
 you drove too fast, on the last warm day of fall.
i still remember the last of the sun beams hitting my back and you screamed
"I love you!"
for the whole world to hear.

and if i could take that moment i stood on top of the world, 
with nothing but new england air and the smell of birch trees in late fall.
the lingering of morning dampness in the creases of my elbows and the
smell of pine on fire and bacon popping over the griddle...

and if i could take the feeling of winter's chill wrapped around my home
and the gentle roar of the fire in the iron vault
and the soothing rumble of a kitty's content purr
pressed against my toes...

and if i could take that evening thunderstorm rolling over the atlantic ocean
over the beach and out towards the heavens,
my feet resting on the railing, cracked with old blue paint
and sprinkled with a few stray raindrops,
the crests of the waves illuminated in split seconds of blinding truth
the rush of tides pounding in time with the rumble of the storm...

and if i could take that jeep ride in the summer rain
and the day you told me you loved me
if i could take the words: "your hair will grow back now"
and winding roads of yellowstone...
if i could take the sunrise over the caribbean in late april,
and the taste of hazelnut hot cocoa on a harsh winter's day
and if i could take the warmth of my dad's hug
and your smile pressed into my cheek
and late afternoon naps in spots of sunshine

if i could take those moments and memories
and use them to color my world,
well,

i think i would look a little something like this:




2 comments:

Julianna said...

All I could think about during this whole poem was that you said damp elbows. and then all I could hear in my head was Brett saying, "Guys - do you know what the worst feeling in the world is? damp elbows." hahahahahahahahaha.
hahah.
I miss Brett.

Julianna said...

And also it is a pretty poem :)