12.12.09

there is a world outside...did you know that?

The past three years, it has been drilled into my head that I have limitations.
I can't do certain things anymore, and I just have to accept it
I can't run, I can't jump, I can't skip.
I can't play outside when the weather is yucky.
I have to be careful.
one fall can be damaging;
can take away what little abilities I still have.
one fall can ruin everything.
limitations.

Starting this last summer, I've been facing my limitations head on.
I was heartbroken, tired, barely functioning
and I knew something had to change.
I began learning how to do things for myself,
because there is a world outside...

there is a world outside and I've been missing out
because I have been told that I can't experience it the way I used to be able to.
I've accepted it.
I understand that I physically can not do certain things anymore
and that I have to be careful.
but.
I refuse to be limited.
I refuse to be defined by my knees, or lack thereof

And so this summer, I faced my "limitations" and decided that just because certain things may be more difficult for me, or certain adjustments need to be made, I can't let the world pass me by anymore.

I learned how to belay rock climbers.
I ran around after kids all summer.
I walked the freedom trail.
I went white water kayaking again.
I hiked out to Sabbaday falls.
I played in huge waves in the Ocean and walked all the way to Salisbury center along the coast.

And recently, I've rediscovered the world of winter.
I've had snowball fights
I made a baby snow castle
I've been teaching some friends how to drive in the snow
there is a new parking lot across the street from my apartment that i've been doing donuts in.

And today I went on an adventure to Mesa Falls that involved driving into the mountains in a foot of snow, trekking in snow for a while to get to the falls, and just being outside.
and even though i might have taken a baby spill that got me feeling a little defeated
and my knee is pretty sore and swollen and I probably won't be able to use it tomorrow
i was outside and I got to enjoy the outdoors
and i went for it.




Whose woods these are, I think I know,
His house is in the village though
He will not see me stopping here
to watch his woods fill up with snow

The woods are lovely, dark and deep
but I have promises to keep
and miles to go before I sleep
and miles to go before I sleep.

I didn't say no. I didn't back down.

i am not limited.

No comments: