25.12.08

Christmas time is here



A Blast From the Past. The first Christmas Picture, when mom decided to do pictures with our cards...This was five or six years ago.



Look at how far we've come. 












When we were younger, my brother and sisters and I used to make it our month's goal to find the hidden Christmas presents. One time, my brother succeeded about three weeks before Christmas. Unfortunately for him, my dad had set up a trap that involved scotch tape, door jams and hinges and had found out about the break in. Needless to say, my father was not happy.

A few days after he had calmed down, I hesitantly asked him why he was so upset. I understood that he should be angry, but I thought that he was way too angry then the occasion called for. He told me a story about when he was young that has stuck with me for ages.

My dad grew up on the backstreets of Haverhill, MA. For anyone who doesn't know New England, it's safe to say Haverhill is not the safest, or best place to live in. His father left his mother and her four children when my dad was young for another woman. My grandmother, Caroline, was left to support her four children on her own. A few years later, she had to support them while battling a terminal case of cancer.

One year, Caroline had worked extra hard and had bought each of her children very nice watches. My dad had found these watches and would look at them everyday. Soon, the excitement wore off, and when Christmas morning came around, it was obvious to Caroline that my dad was not excited about his present like he should be. Dad told me that the disappointment and hurt on his mother's face haunted him for years.

Dad told me after that the best part of Christmas for him was seeing his children be happy and their happiness at the presents he is able to provide for them. I listened and got what he said, but never really understood it until this year.

Being a college kid, and pretty content in the electronic world, I didn't ask for much this Christmas, and I didn't expect much. I found that as we went around the tree this morning, that I was more excited to see what my siblings got and to see the joy and happiness on their faces as they realized what they received. I also loved watching my Dad's face as he watched us opening our gifts. And then I understood.

I just want to say that I can't wait to be a parent and get to watch my kids faces when they open up their gifts. 

My dad is forever my hero and one of my favorite people. He has taught me so much and continues to teach me every day.

Christmas truly is the season of giving.



No comments: