13.8.12

misc.

I work with Camie and I like her a lot. She's funny and southern and speaks with a cute drawl at times. 
                                                    
And she shows up at my apartment on Saturdays and drags me out of bed so she can go get Taco Bell and go grocery shopping. Grocery shopping sometimes turns into cactus shopping. And then we spend the afternoon repotting our cute little friends. 


Meet Xiâo Tōng. My cactus. In Chinese, it means "Little Pain."


Have I mentioned how much I have fallen in love with the Chinese language? I've never felt so close to picking up another language as I have with Chinese. Maybe it's from living in China for five months; maybe because there are only 400 sounds involved in Mandarin compared to the thousands in the English language. Regardless, I've never felt more motivated or encouraged about learning a second language as I have with Chinese. I miss it. I miss being surrounded by it and bargaining in it and asking questions in it and actually understanding (somewhat) the answer. And I want to do everything I can to keep learning it.


In other news, I've been on this weird Betty Crocker roll when it comes to cooking. Maybe it's this whole "I am what I eat" kick that I've been on. I'm trying to make a life style change and that involves eating better and working out. Here is my Sunday meal from yesterday: BBQ chicken, mashed potatoes, calliflower and a sour dough roll. Pretty dang good for myself, I think.


Have I written about how my best bud and brother I've never had, Geoff is back from his mission? Because he is! And I seriously couldn't be more happy to be able to text him on a general bases, to have his opinion right when I need it and to know that he'll be here in three weeks to keep me company and keep me sane while I get ready to tackle a super hard semester and the daunting task of welcoming Dustin home. 

Things that make me happy right now? Pot lucks at work. "Topless Terri" and "Cortugee" text messages. Books and library cards. Plans to see Julianna. Downton Abbey (I'm in love). White and straighter teeth. Good hair days.  Making money because I'm working hard. Writing letters to Dustin and even better, receiving them.


and the thoughts that have been bouncing around my head? They are still there. But I've organized them a bit better. I understand them a bit more now. And I know what I must be prepared to do; should the time come. 

No comments: